Sunday, March 01, 2009

csUnit migrated to .NET 3.5 and VS 2008

Finally I have found some time again to do a few things on csUnit. Actually the main driver was that I tried out the unit testing features that come out of the box with Visual Studio 2008 and I found them a little bit too cumbersome for my taste. I'm sure there are scenarios, teams, and people who are looking exactly for what VS's unit testing provides, including the ability to look at old test runs. But overall it felt a little bit too heavy. One example. A test fails. The result's view lists all tests and you can click on the one that failed. But it doesn't bring you straight to the failed test. That was my expectation. Instead it brings you to a page with the result details of that test. And only there you find a link to the actual implementation of the test. Conceptually that's probably what MSFT wanted. For me it felt like being slowed down. So now I've moved csUnit to .NET 3.5 and migrated the solution and all projects within it to VS 2008. And I'm looking into making it possible for csUnit to run tests implemented using MSFT's unit testing framework. Let's see how that goes. One difficulty I already discovered: Counting assertions. I don't have a good solution for that yet but if you do, please let me know!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

All comments, questions and other feedback is much appreciated. Thank you!